Administrators can disable system restore functionality on all the computers joined to a domain by configuring domain group policy. This can be done as follows. The below steps apply to a Server 2003 domain. Irrespective of whether the client is a Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7 you can follow the below steps for 2k3 domain.
- Open group policy object editor for the domain(see Opening Group policy object editor).
- Expand the node Computer configuration
- Expand the node Administrative templates
- Expand the node System
- Select the node System Restore. Now in the right side pane you can see system restore related policy settings.
- Double click on the setting “Turn off system restore“
- Select Enabled check button
- Click on Apply and OK buttons.
- Close Group policy object editor.