This post explains how to troubleshoot problems in installing Service pack 1(SP1) on Windows 7.
Download System update readiness tool from the below locations.
Windows 7 32-bit (x86) Download
Windows 7 64-bit (x64) Download
Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit (x64) Download
Windows Server 2008 R2 Itanium-based Download
Download the tool and run it. The update readiness tool scans registry keys, system configuration files, manifests and then corrects them if it finds any issues.
This tool can fix the following errors.
- The system cannot find the file specified.
- The data is invalid.
- The source for the package or file not found.
- The component store is in an inconsistent state.
- A component’s file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.
- Unable to parse the requested XML data.
- An invalid character was encountered.
- An identity string is malformed.
- The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the valid range.
- The value of an attribute in an identity is not within the valid range.
- The parameter is incorrect.
- No signature was present in the subject.
- An error occurred while Windows Update reads or writes to a file.
- A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the time stamp in the signed file.
- One or more required members of the transaction are not present.
- Windows could not search for new updates.
After running the update tool, try installing the service pack again.