On a Windows computer, one can check if Java is installed by doing the following steps.
- Run Appwiz.cpl from Run window. This will open ‘Add or remove programs‘ wizard.
- Here you can see the list of installed software on your computer. The list is displayed in alphabetical order.
- Check if Java is listed in the installed software list. You might have either JRE(Java Runtime Environment) which is required to run java applications on the computer or JDK as shown below.
Other ways to check if java is installed.
- Open command prompt and execute the command java. If you see the error ‘java’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.‘ go to Step 2. If Java is installed on your PC, it will print various command line options for java command. But getting the error does not mean that Java is not installed, may be the installation path is not added to the PATH environment variable.
- On Windows, Java is usually installed in the directory C:Program FilesJava. You can check if this folder exists. If the folder does not exist, we can’t be sure that Java is not installed on your computer. It could have been installed in a different path.
- Now the last method is to search for java.exe file on the disk. You can use either explorer or dir command (from command line) for this.