On Windows XP/2003/Vista/ Windows 7 we can enable or disable webclient service using the following method.(In Windows Server 2003 webclient is disabled by default whereas in XP/Vista/Windows7 it is enabled by default i.e start type is set to Auto.
- Open Service configuration console(services.msc).
- Find webclient entry in the list of services displayed in the right side pane
- Double click on webclient entry. You will see a window like below
- Select Automatic/Manual/Disabled in the Startup type
- Click on Apply button
- Now you can see that Start button is active/inactive based on whether you have enabled/disabled the service.
To enable webclient service from command prompt you can simply run either of the following commands.
sc config webclient start= demand
sc config webclient start= auto
To disable webclient service from command line we can run the below command.
sc config webclient start= disabled