Taskbar by default is displayed at the bottom of desktop screen. In Windows 7 we can move the taskbar to the top or right or left of the screen for our convenience. It can be done through Taskbar and Start menu properties window.
Following are the steps to move Taskbar to bottom or right or left or top of the desktop screen:
- Right click on Taskbar
- Click on properties
- It opens Taskbar and Start menu properties window
- Make sure that Taskbar is the active tab.
- Now you can see the option Taskbar location on Screen
- Select the desired option (top / bottom / right / left) from the drop down menu. If you can’t select the options from the drop down menu read ahead for the solution.
- Click on Apply and OK to close the window.
Now you can see the taskbar at your desired position.
You can also hide the taskbar if you want so. This also can be done through the Taskbar and start menu properties window by selecting the check button Auto hide the taskbar(second one in the top).
If you want to prevent users from moving the taskbar to another location, you can do so by configuring the group policy ‘Prevent users from moving taskbar to another screen dock location‘. This setting can be found under the node ‘User Configuration -> Administrative templates -> Start menu and Taskbar‘ This setting can be found only on Windows 7 or Server 2008 computers. When this group policy is enforced, the combo box next to the ‘Taskbar location on screen‘ gets disabled and users won’t be able to make any changes.