Microsoft has announced the names of the Windows 8 editions it’s going to offer to users. There will be a total of 4 editions:
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows RT
- Windows 8 Enterprise
From the feature set comparison mentioned in this blog post, it looks like Microsoft has combined the home and home premium editions into one edition(Windows 8). Windows 8 Pro looks like what Ultimate was in Windows 7. And the enterprise editions is just counter part of Windows 7 enterprise edition.
Some of the key points regarding the feature set:
- There’s an in-built VPN client provided for all the Windows 8 editions.
- As in Windows 7, Remote desktop server is available in Pro and enterprise editions. Remote desktop client is available in all the editions.
- Hyper-V client, Domain join, EFS, Bit Locker and Group policy features are available only in Pro and Enterprise editions.
Some new features which are available in all the editions.
- Picture Password
- Enhanced task manager and enhanced explorer.
- Smart Screen
- Enhanced multi monitor support
- Trusted boot
- Ability to switch languages on the fly
- Touch and Thumb keyboard